Ceviche is a recent passion of mine– Every time I’ve bought either fish or shrimp lately, I’ve bought some extra so I can make up a batch! It makes a lovely appetizer for dinner guests, or I just like to eat it for lunch…
This is my go-to super easy recipe… It’s incredibly flexible to modify as well, so have fun with it!
Adjust the amounts based on the amount of your fish or other ingredients. You’ll want enough of the marinate to cover all your ingredients — using a quart or gallon ziplock bag will allow you to use less marinade than if you place in a bowl.
- Fish (Tilapia works nicely) and/or shrimp, cut into small bite size pieces. (for this example: about 8 large shrimp, and 1 small piece of tilapia)
- ~2 Tbls chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small onion, chopped.
- 1 tomato, chopped.
- handful of fresh spinach, chopped finely (optional)
- 2 parts seasoned rice vinegar (start with 1/2 cup)
- 1 part fresh lime juice (start with 1/4 cup)
Cut up all your ingredients into bite sized pieces. In your plastic bag, mix your rice vinegar with your lime juice. (You may want to taste, and adjust based on your own preferences of sour to sweet) Add your other ingredients to the bag. Remove the air from the bag and confirm if all the ingredients are soaking in marinade. If marinade is short, add more in the same 2:1 ratio. (I rarely measure this so exactly… you just want to ensure you have enough lime juice to cook the fish, and that the dressing is flavorful. Taste it on one of the veggies to ensure its flavor.)
Place in refrigerator over night. When fish and shrimp are opaque and look cooked, your ceviche is ready.
- Substitute basil for cilantro.
- Add cucumber or red bell pepper
- Substitute soy & wasabi for cilantro
- add chili sauce for spice.
If you’re nervous about the seafood being chemically cooked rather by the acidic lime juice rather than stove cooked, you could always precook your shrimp or fish, then marinate for a shorter period for a similar dish. Also, make sure you practice good food safety, and buy fresh fish!
Hope you enjoy this!Pin It Jump to Comments!