Granola Bars are nothing but Granola cut into different shapes, so that one can enjoy them during any given time of the day. Granola Bars are the powerhouse of energy that’s why it is preferred by those who are hiking, trekking or camping because it is lightweight, high in calories, and easy to store though simple Granola can also be enjoyed as a cereal with a glass of milk or coffee but again that can be done only in the morning sitting on your dining table.
2 Cups Breakfast Oats/Muesli
1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1 Cup Sliced Almonds
¼ Cup raw Sunflower/Melon Seeds
4 Tbsp. Flaxseeds
½ Cup Dried Cranberries/Cherries/Blueberries
¼ Cup Chopped Figs, Prunes and Dates, mixed
¼ Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
¼ Cup Demerara or Light Brown Sugar
⅔ Cup Honey
1 Tsp. Vanilla Essence
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, coconut and almonds.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 12 -15 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally or toss in a hot pan for few minutes until slightly brown. Keep aside.
- Transfer the oat mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the seeds, dried berries, figs, dates, salt, and cinnamon.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla in a small saucepan, placed over medium heat. Once the sugar mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour over the oat mixture. With a large spoon or spatula, stir the mixture, making sure all the dry ingredients are completely coated with the butter mixture.
- Pour the granola into the prepared pan and, with damp hands, lightly press the granola evenly into the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Bake for about 18 – 25 minutes, or until set. Remove from the oven and let cool for about two hours before cutting into bars.
- Store in clean airtight container at room temperature.