As Fall approaches and temps get cooler, you may be thinking about serving warm and comforting soups to your family. I used to wait tables at an awesome place in Silver City, NM called Diane’s Restaurant. One of my favorite menu items was their creamy tomato soup with garlic croutons. This easy recipe is my attempt to recreate this yummy soup. It’s not an exact copy, but I do love it and so does my picky husband. This soup goes great with a grilled cheese or even quesadillas! Enjoy!
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
3 T butter
1/2 cup milk
1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (not stewed)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium-sized pot.
2. Add garlic, onion, and celery. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Cook and stir until onions are softened and nearly transparent.
3. Add flour. Cook and stir until lightly browned.
4. Add milk. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir frequently until thickened.
5. Pour mixture into food processor. Add can of tomatoes.
6. Blend until smooth. Some tiny pieces of veggies will probably remain.
7. Return to original pot, add salt and pepper to taste. Reheat.
8. When soup is hot, pour into bowls and top with garlic croutons.
Serves 2 (may be doubled)
Note: You can do a vegan version by substituting unsweetened soy milk for milk and olive oil for butter.