About Melissa: “When I am not organizing cyber-clutter as a database administrator, I am changing diapers and taking care of my adorable daughter at our home in the Atlanta metro area. My food journey started as so many do, with my mother and trying to imitate her art in the kitchen. Now that my cooking skills have grown legs, I am branching out and trying some of my own edible experiments.”
Zesty Twice Baked Potatoes
I had some extra potatoes left over from making a pot roast a few nights ago and I wanted to do something more creative with them then just baked potatoes. I recently had been eyeing some twice baked potatoes at the local grocery, but I have not wanted to pay what they were asking for frozen and bland potatoes. I finally just decided it was time to face this craving and make my own.
- 2 Baking Potatoes
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Sea or Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Prepared Horseradish
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Fresh Ground Pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
2. Scrub potatoes to remove any dirt and rub skins with olive oil. (I like to do this bare-handed as the oil is a great moisturizer)
3. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and insert into oven.
4. Bake potatoes 50-60 minutes or until soft all the way through.
5. Remove cooked potatoes from oven and slice horizontally. Scoop inner flesh into bowl, setting skins aside. Caution: Hot potato! Hold with oven mitt or kitchen towel while cutting and scooping.
6. Into bowl with potato flesh, add cheese (reserving a few pinches), garlic, horseradish, sour cream, and some fresh ground pepper. Mash and mix all together thoroughly. (I like to do this with a hand masher, but for creamier insides you can use an electric mixer.)
7. Fill potato skins with mixture and sprinkle reserved cheese over top. (for a fancier effect, you can pipe mixture back into skins with cake decorating tip)
8. Return potatoes to oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is gently browned.
Makes 4 servings