This weekend we had a little gathering at our house–with the guys working outside and the girls making icecream, which ended up with everyone staying for dinner. This cornbread was pronounced fabulous, so I’m here to share it with you–it’s wonderfully moist, not too sweet, & just a little cheesy. Cornbread is probably the easiest bread to make, and it rounded out our dinner of Chicken White Bean Chili nicely!
First off, this cornbread is based on my mother’s recipe for a spicy cheesy cornbread… However, I didn’t want spicy, as I was serving with the Spicy Cilantro Pesto as a spread. So I modded it a bit.
- 1 1/2 c self rising cornmeal mix
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 cup milk (or buttermilk if you have it)
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ~3/4 c chopped bell pepper (I used red)
- ~3/4 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
- (Optional for spicy – add one chopped hot pepper as well)
- Iron Skillet or large pyrex baking dish.
- Grease your pan with a thin coat of oil.
- If using an iron skillet, place it in your oven to preheat.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients, except for the cheese, in a large bowl. Add about 1/3 of the cheese and stir in.
- When oven is ready, remove your pan and pour your mixture into it. Sprinkle the remainder of your cheese on top.
- Place in oven and bake for ~45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter or Cilantro Pesto.