But that’s ok.
I’m told there is a sandwich similar to this, a Maid-Rite, out of Ohio or Iowa or Illinois. Maybe Wisconsin. I have no idea – just passing along what I’ve been told in the interest of full disclosure. Cause I like to disclose it all.
I just know – to me – these taste just like Krystals, which aren’t White Castles but may be, because I haven’t had any of those either.
I love Krystals.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 24 slices dill pickle slices
- 4 ounces prepared mustard
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 slices American cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until brown. Drain. Return to pan with salt, pepper, and water to cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until water is gone, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Steam buns on top of meat for last 2-3 minutes.
- Serve meat on buns topped with chopped onion, dill pickle slices and mustard. Add cheese if desired (it really is desired!)