Mocha Brownie Cake
- 1 (21 ounce) package fudge brownie mix. I used Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix.
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (more or less depending on your liking)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 1/4 cup sifted powder sugar
- Chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 dgrees.
- Coat two 8-inch cakepans with cooking spray; line pans with baking parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (I use Crisco Butter No-Stick Spray).
- Combine brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix until moistened through.
- Spread batter evenly into the two prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 23 to 25 minutes. Let pan cools on wire racks for 5 minutes; invert onto wire racks and carefully remove the paper. Let the cake layers cool completely on the wire racks.
- Chill the beater blades and bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes before beginning the next step.
- Combine whipping cream and espresso granules, stirring well. Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add in powdered sugar; beating until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream mixture between the layers and on top and sides of the completely cooled cake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and chopped pecans.
- Chill cake for one to two hours before serving.
[I adapted this from a Southern Living Recipe]